Thursday, June 26, 2008

Response to Amy's "Bobbie Beth Scoggins at DBC Educational Conference"



Hi, Amy,


Your article presents very good subject about Bobbie Beth Scoggins being in the historical events. I am glad for her to present the topic about EHDI.


As I wrote down the comment, it became too long. So, I decided to put it in my v/blog's message instead. I want to do this to honor DBC and NAD events, because I cannot be there to participate the events. I wish DBC & NAD the best!!



For my son, we had birth hearing test at hospital. His test failed twice, but then it was passed. However, what the nurse did to us was surreal, and unnatural. She actually panicked about his hearing test. She kept testing him several times (three times, I think), and she decided that his hearing was normal. Sheesh, how did you think I would react to this? A lot of doubt! As a Deaf parent, I would be prepared and be excited for a Deaf newborn, but this nurse was a nuisance and a scary character. She even made me question the whole situation. I was not prepared at all.


Also, I was told that this nurse is supposed to act this way in order to get parents' attention to "what to do with the hearing loss." It was all because of C.I.. Money talks. Her act is a completely turn-off AND unprofessional!! We need to do something to beyond the birth hearing test. Attitudes need to be changed.


I have noticed some audiologists sometimes do not give in to mild hearing loss, due to money. You see, it costs to be Deaf; education, interpreting service, and yes, the language, ASL. So, is that fair to give this kind of test?


There is the system behind them that they are wiser with money as time goes. The system is something we need to fight against now than ever. So different ERA.


So, I am hoping for the EHDI to work best for all Deaf babies. Since each state has its own interpretation what kind of information to present for the parents, we need to be the underdog to make sure that each state has proper information for the sake of our Deaf babies.


I trust DBC and NAD that they improve the system. Do me, no, us, no, THEM a favor; do it fast.


ILYs


Butterfly, like me...Deaf



Up to date (06/27/08 at 1:15pm)

Here is the link to Amy's message!! My apology!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Deafk!

Very nice response! Thank you so much for making a comment /vlog about Bobbie Beth Scoggins at DBC conference.

Your story is so important and it makes us realize that EHDI processes do differ from other states, and even more,differ from one hospital to another hospital. Your surreal feelings about how this nurse act when your son didn't do well with hearing screening test was stressful!

Let us see how DBC is going for this weekend!

Take care and keep up vlogging!

Amy Cohen Efron

deafk said...

Hi, Amy,

Thanks!! Yes, I have noticed that this experience has not mentioned, so I decided to mention my own. Hugs!!

My apology for not including the link to your message.

Here it is...

http://blog.deafread.com/abcohende/2008/06/26/bobbie-beth-scoggins-at-dbc-educational-conference/

Thanks!!