Thursday, May 8, 2008

Me? Hearing Person??



6.21 minutes long video (retake at 1230pm 05/12/08)

Hi, ASLpride just mentioned that he was mistakenly identified as a hearing person. Where is ASLpride?? Anyway, it was a funny story. Go to this link, if you missed his story. I would like to share this with you. It is not only one time experience, but hundreds time, uh, no, thousands time, yeah.

It was no fun in the beginning. Whenever anyone asked me this question, I was feeling lousy. The questioner asked me whether I was hearing. I said no, I am Deaf. Then this questioner insisted that I really was hearing. I said, I am really Deaf. Still this questioner asked his or her friends to see if I were Deaf or hearing. Then if I had friends with me, I would ask him or her to tell this questioner and his or her friends that I am Deaf.

I was agonized every time I was being questioned whether I was Deaf or not. As time goes on, I grew to used to it. "Yep, me deaf." without any elaboration. Still some deaf people would like the full explanations, instead of "Yep, me deaf." It all depends on my willingness to explain, lol!

My very first experience was occurred on NTID campus during my first year after deaf school! It was in the middle of the winter. I was standing in the tunnel, waiting for the elevator to come open. I was standing next to a few Deaf people. I was standing quietly, cuz I did not know those Deaf people. One Deaf guy began to chat with the other Deaf individuals. I looked at the conversation. I realized I knew that guy a little, and I began to chat a bit with this guy and the group. A few minutes later, one person looked at me, as if something is not right. This girl asked me whether I was hearing. I was stricken, like a bat strike on my face. "Me? Hearing Person?? uh, no, I am Deaf." This person did not believe that I was Deaf at all. The group agreed with her. I was dumbfound. I responded back, I am DEAF!! Then the elevator came open, and the conversation was ended. I went into the elevator and was standing before the closed elevator doors, shocked at this situation.

At Gallaudet University, once a long while, I was asked by students; not only they being Deaf, they were not from Deaf families... I do not know what Deaf characteristic they were looking for, but obviously I did not provide them any Deaf characteristic. Then into the career world, I was continuously asked whether I was Deaf or not. It depended on what kind of people I was working with. Now, I am a stay at home mom, and I still get those questions whether I am Deaf or not. I do not know why I am "hearing" to some newly met Deaf people.

Isn't it interesting how things are being twisted in either way with Deaf communities?

Butterfly, like me...Deaf

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, you don't look like a deaf person. That's what I hear from deaf or hearing people sometimes. Is it because of the way you sign? Is it because of how you look? Is it because that you don't act like a deaf person? Is it because you don't introduce yourself properly as a deaf person? Or you pass off as a hearing person as you learned the "hearing" mannerism from the hearing school? I often ponder over that.
The Lit' One

deafk said...

Yes, I ponder over that, too. Guess my mom trained me too well to be hearing, but I still need ASL for my language, eh?? I will be always Deaf, no matter what!

deafk

deafk said...

Well, the Lit' One,

How can they identify me at instant apperance or first impression?? I mean, we were just meeting... not know each other at all. Yet, they were thinking I was "hearing." Why? I guess I am skilled at being hearing imposter, lol!

deafk

Anonymous said...

I watched your vlog and I can see why you act like a hearing person.
because you are not much facial expression and more shy side and not seem show much ASL signs. your shoulders are not much shift as should be. that could be explain why you act like a hearing person I dont mean to offend you. I think that your personality and who you are. if you feel comfortable the way you always act like that is okay with that. dont let them bother you. I hope that help you understand what I mean.

Anonymous said...

There has been several times when a deaf person came up to me asking if I'm hearing? I replied in sign language and said "nope, I'm deaf"

They think I'm hearing because apparently I behave like a hearing person!

Sometimes they'd assume I'm an Oralist when I use Auslan as main form of communication!

deafk said...

To Mark Maki,

Thanks for sharing your perspective on how I act, smile.

I understand what you are saying, because I am a little shy myself.. I lead a quiet life myself right now.

Wow, you have a good observation!!

deafk

deafk said...

That is interesting how people view on you... looks like it is how you use the different language. It may be like the accent for you??

I was never asked whether I was oralist. Only hearing, lol...

Smile, deafk

Anonymous said...

Hi,I realize that this vlog is a bit "old" but I just started viewing vlogs recently. I, too, have had (and still nowadays)the exactly same experience as you. I was born deaf and attended a residential deaf school, starting at 2 1/2 years and graduated from there at 18. LOTS of people have asked me and/or others whether or not if I was hearing. I believe it is because of the way we sign and the vocabulary we use, and the language level we use to communicate with others. Don't feel bad or take it personally. Enjoy your life! :o)