Friday, March 7, 2008

Honoring DPN20; my personal experience.

Finally, I got the time to do so. I gotta mention a few things that may be different from another v/bloggers.

First of all, I was in rally a few times to give my support to the idea of getting a new president that was Deaf. At the rallies, the persons were exclaiming that having Deaf president was overdue. We even went to the one of MSSD's buildings to give our rarrahs to the committee of Board and Trustee. I recalled the walking on the circle in the front of the MSSD's building.

When it came to the announcement of the selected one's name, I was readily prepped to expecting having the Deaf president, because considering the higher credits of Deaf candidates. When I walked to the gym with a friend, we looked at the bared trees with white stripes. We looked at each other, and said, "what was that?" As we came closer and closer, we saw toilet papers swaying on the bared branches. We were puzzled why the toilet papers even ended up there. Then we came across to the gym. We saw the group, agonizing, and looking disappointed. We then looked at the announced papers burning.

One professor picked up one of the burned papers, and said "It was Zinser!" Then he threw it down, and walked toward to the front of Gallaudet University's campus. He told us that there is going on on the street, and we ought go there. We went there, and we were dumbfounded when we saw a large group sitting on the street. The city policemen were re-directing the automobiles to different direction. We joined the group. After that, I got involved that I forgot all about this friend. I did not know where this person went afterwhile. I joined sitting the group. A while later, the group had made a historical decision! We decided to make a march toward to the Capitol, but a group dividing toward to the hotel where the committee of Board and Trustee were staying for night. Those group who ended up at Capitol which was closed at the night decided that we kept up marching toward the hotel. I was in that group that went to Capitol and then the hotel.

When arrived the hotel, there were people giving the audience the cheers, and rarrahs. They were waiting for the chairperson of Board and Trustee to come out and discuss with us. Finally, the lady, named Spillman, came out and announced the infamous line, "the Deaf people are NOT ready to FUNCTION in the HEARING world." This line shook us greatly! We objected all about that, and went back marching to Gallaudet. Then the group informed us to be prepared for the lockout in the morning.

The flashing lights came in for getting our attention and participation. We saw that the buildings were closed with chains and lockpads. We went to the front of Gallaudet University for the lockout. We were excited all about this. We felt empowered at last. We felt united for our Deafhood.

We went to the old gym for meetings at nights. The four leaders kept informing us what to expect. We gave them feedback what we could do for the lockouts and demands. We got the plans for the next day. We went back to our dorms. There was no homework. No classes.

During days, there were different people announcing what we could do next. The four leaders did the announcements a lot. One leader was representing the Student Body Government, and this leader was in the center of attention by media... Another leader was former SBG president, and this leader was helping this SBG president out meanwhile. Another leader was able to speak clearly and loudly. We heard this leader very well. Lastly another leader gave us inspiration, and motivation.

I wanted to mention that I contributed a very small thing, but an influential one. I went to one of those four leaders, and showed this leader the sign where I got from my circle of friends. The sign for Sinner sounded like Zinser. This leader liked it, and spread it far and wide. I saw this sign all over. "Sinner, out."

Anyway, when we won the sweet victory, and we got the Deaf president, we celebrated like those people who got excited for their football team winning the game. We danced, and cheered!

After this victory, I went to Boston to be with my sister. She took me to her volunteering party. I met all those hearing ladies. We chatted a bit. Sister interpreted for me. Then sister announced to those ladies that I just got here from Galladuet University. All of the ladies looked at me, and applauded for a few minutes. I nodded back, and smiled. It was a great feeling! :)

That's my highlight moments at DPN events.

Thanks, Butterfly, like me...Deaf

3 comments:

mishkazena said...

What a week that was! I loved seeing other Deaf people finally feeling empowered.

The night gatherings were so full of energy and spirits. Jerry was so passionate as a speaker, pushing us up and up, roaring
"Deaf President Now" and hands waving.

The march to the Capitol was memorable. I met some of the same people in the march to Capital during UfG. Some of the young kids and babies who participated in DPN March along with their parents ended up as protesters and protest leaders, with some of their parents there supporting them. That was so cool!

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

Glad you had a great time and thank you for sharing!

Lit' One said...

Thanks for sharing your "once in your lifetime" experience that I did not even experienced in my life. I just can't imagine that time when everyone pulled together to push for the deaf president. I remembered being so involved with the protest by reading about it as much as I could, and watching the brief news on national news. It was very inspiring, and it was very moving to all of us in the country to see you and others partaking in the protest. Thank you for taking the "stand" and the strong push for the deaf president which had strong ripples on the deaf community for years.