Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What is he? Mild Deaf? Not?



Hi, this is about my son. I decided not to type the transcript this time. If you wish to know, please let me know and I will figure out, ok, thanks.
******************************************************

After reading Ridor's article about his not willing to watch any videos, I decided to type the transcript after all.

I am trying to summarize what I have signed in my video. I wanted to talk about my son. He has Down's syndrome. He is smart, funny and alert in whatever he does. He is now 5 years old. Now, guess what what subject I have been struggled lately ... it is the hearing problem or issue. Ever since his birth to present, I have dealt with his language development. I noticed that he is an audio-based learner, not a visual-based learner. I have dealt harder with his speech, than I did with my girls. I am Deaf myself. So, I get confused how to do the speech with him and his condition.

His children doctor did the air pressure equipment to test his ears for any fluid left in the middle ears. Doctor did that ever since he was baby to present. He gave concerned looks about son's ears condition. Doctor does not feel right about this, either son's ears being infected or not. He encouraged me to go for the hearing testing clinic. We went there when son was 3 years old. The test came negative. I reported this to the doctor. He gave a concerned look. The doctor kept up giving the air pressure equipment for fluid check, and the outcome were not good.

I asked for his referral instead, and we went to the referred place. The audiologist determined that my son has about 50 dB. I looked back and realized that I tend to use stronger voice for my son. I used the regular voice with my girls when calling. When rebelled, I would use more firm voice with girls. When son rebels, I would come to him, and get him and bring him to the place. 50 dB, hmmm. That makes senses. Tough situation. Based on his doctor repeating the air pressure equipment showing bad results, I decided to identity my son mild deaf. Even though my son is referred to ENT doctor for any clarification or cleaning his middle ears' infection if any and , I would still make a plan to place my son in the deaf school.

It is not easy to identify his hearing level. It is something else! Even I asked for tubing in his eardrum, I ended up with the concerned looks! I compared him with the other peers with Down's syndrome. The peers response better than my son. My son responses a little different.

I am sure you have experiences such like this...all over the country. I'm appreciated for any feedback from you.

Five years experience on this situation, whoa!

Thank you, b-deaf

7 comments:

mishkazena said...

I've worked with kids and adults with Down's Syndrome for some ime many years ago.

You may want to explore the feasibility of digital hearinig aids to assist with his hearing, since it's mild.

Shame on that first audiologist for not catching the hearing loss .

deafk said...

MZ,

I had only a very few times encounterance with people wiht Down's Syndrome. So, I do not know their ways enough for my son. Oh, well.

Susan A.,

I am looking forward to the new chapter of my son's at a deaf school. Thanks.

b-deaf

DeafKathy (Wilson) said...

Wow, touchy story! Are there any Deaf Down's Syndrome people out there that may help you to understand how they grow/learn in their life?

Boys, no matter what: Deaf, DS, hearing, are challenge ("lazy" isnt the word I wanted to use but know what I mean?) to raise than girls. Just dont give up and we will pour our energy in yours, smile!

deafk said...

Hi, DeafKathy,

Basically, boys always will be rough, and girls always will be girls! lol...

I am sure there are some Deaf people with Down Syndrome, but I have not met them as yet.

Ridor said...

Wow. I'll have to refrain and think a little about this topic. Kathleen, you certainly brought a good topic -- and unlike many vloggers, you made it very interesting.

will get back on this!

cheers,

r-

deafk said...

many thanks, ridor. it means a great deal for me to hear your remark.

thanks, b-deaf

Ridor said...

Hi K:

I will not deny that dealing with a child that has Down's Syndrome is not easy. I do not have a child of my own. I used to live at a dormitory where there is a couple of deaf kids who has Down's Syndrome. And the odd thing is that they can hear partially and speak well when they WANTED to.

It is all about communication. The effort to keep the lines of communication between a parent and the child open at all times *and* between the siblings as well!

You told me that your oldest told you that it "made sense" when she noticed her brother tends to repeat ... it all boils down to communication.

I used to work at a group home -- each individual is different but one thing remains the same: Communicate at all times. Sometimes it is not easy to communicate.

Ask your son what does he wants? Just a casual talk to see where he wants out of this?

Cheers,

R-