Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Latin to Pompeians is ASL to Deaf People





Hi, there,

I would like to mention this, Latin to Pompeians is ASL to Deaf People. It is all because of one suggestion by Carl Schroeder. I also learned something from someone else. Carl explained how DEAF vs. ASL could be valuable in this world and for marketing purposes. Someone else questioned the word Deaf in Deafhood, as if it is still crippling one self. That this word, Deaf, is not considered healthy approach in this world, oh, I mean, this hearing world.

So, let me describe how the language could conditioned. At Gallaudet University, I took two years, or four semesters of foreign language, and it was Latin. I wanted to take it to expand my vocabulary. Indeed, it helped in a way. Anyway, I learned that about how Latin language was being used while Pompeians were alive. They created terms to use for their daily living. Then the volcano erupted and the people of Pompeii died. Their language was faded away, and it becomes a dead language. I was to study their language to understand their cultivated living and how they used the term, and grammars to make sentences according to their daily living.

So, what I am saying here is ASL being used by Deaf people, due to their daily living uses. ASL is the language that created by Deaf people. Culture is there in the ASL language. People can learn more about us through the language study.

So, it is a good idea to market the Hearing people the term, ASL, instead of the term, Deaf.

Thank you, Butterfly, like me...Deaf

Wanna video comments?? Go to this DVTV page to leave video comment... :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just because the volcano erupted and their language (Latin) faded away doesn't mean that Latin became a dead language.

Latin once spread with the Roman Empire across Europe, Asia and northern Africa. Latin became a dead language when the Roman Empire fell. It also became the root of modern Romance languages such as French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and English. Even more, Latin is used for everything in science from medical terminology to genus and species classification.

Just wanted to correct you on that....

deafk said...

This is not what I have learned from. However, I was to study this isolated village, obviously. Yes, I am aware of the language of Latin is being used variously. Yet, the language of Latin cannot be used on daily living like we do with ASL.

Thank you for correcting this.

deafk

deafk said...

Perhaps the professor had mentioned something like that. Pompeii and people was the target, and we were to study exclusively on this village. Classes were taken a long time ago, smile.. Obviously, I am not expert with the linguistics, just four semsters of a foreign language.

deafk