Monday, July 28, 2008

Audism? Then what are we with those....?





Hello,

I recieved a comment on my previous v/blog message. It got me think and mull over what we really are. I feel that using the term could oversimplify everything else. I do not see any guideline on how to use this term, audism, other than the Deafhood book. This got me think over. Do not take this that I am against the term, Audism. I support this term very much. I love the concept of using the term for the legal purposes. It is a wonderful term to use.

Now, the comment from my last message brought some questions. I would like to clarify some thing. Let me paste this comment...

"Don't bother getting hearing aids. They will just support the idea of audism. I feel more free after I got rid of my hearing aids. I don't have to be slave to my hearing aids." ~ Anonymous

I responsed to this:

"By the way, I do not agree to the word, audism, for using hearing aids. It seems to be off the focuspoint of the audism. Audist looks down on us, the Deaf people. Then how can the hearing aids be considered a part of audism? Not only us, but the general people who loses little hearing in their latter lives. We use it to hear something. What?"

Don't you see an issue here? Oversimplifying the term could cause the confusion... Please leave the message in the comments. Thanks.

Butterfly, like me...Deaf

Up to Date: 7/28/08 at 12:15pm I forgot to mention in the either blog or video. This comment by the anonymous should be considered a personal decision, regardless how he or she looks at the hearing aids as a part of audism or not. Hearing aids should be neutral, regardless how the hearing people view on us with hearing aids. This is an interesting subject.

***Go to the link for video comment.

0 comments: