Saturday, February 2, 2008

Employment fair?

Published June 21, 2007

Hi, Of course, I had first hand experiences myself and with my husband (now soon to be ex) on the employments. I thought, since we experienced this, so do the other deaf people, one or another way.

When Seeking Geo mentioned about deaf people looking for employment, there was a very long list of comments that I do not see that much in DeafRead.com as of today. Anyway, I asked the person about what I would tend to talk about for the sake of this BLOG. This person said, Employment. I said ohhhh, of course!

Several issues regarding to employments held by deaf people are needed to be addressed. Too often, there has been awkward situations among hearing and deaf people. The employment itself is considered UNFAIR, based on many different reasons!

First of all, the hearing people have little or no experience with deaf people. That is the fact. Now, the deaf people are supposed to teach the hearing people how to deal the deafhood itself, what he or she needs for the employment, such as videophone, existing tty, flashing lights, and others. Again the deaf people need to know how to deal the hearing people’s ways. Their ways are different than deaf’s ways. So, this spells uncomfortable or sometimes termianation in deaf’s employment.

I plan to write several articles regarding to employment and us. It is critical time that we need to be aware of our current situation. We need to explore the conflicts. We need to find a way to resolve more efficiently. So, we are in cyperspace, BLOG and VLOG, the information spreading far and near more efficiently. We need to grab the opportunity to do the best for the deaf communities. I feel that BLOG and VLOG are the keys to improvish the deaf lives and their deafhoods.

If there is a protest or revolution among the deaf communities, I would be one of those first people involving this. Now is a good time to do so, really. We need a new law set up for the deaf employees. I do not know about a new agency set up by government, because number one it is easily becoming red tapes, setting up limitations, and others. Unless someone out there might have a good strategy how to set up an agency or a program for the employment.

You see, all vocational rehabilitation counselors are tied down to many rules, limitations, and red tapes that they could not help much other than helping one starting up his/her life. Worst of all, the VR counselors start their newly clients on social security income, and then they help them whatever they need for the employments. Don’t you see the conflict here….ssi first and then employment? Once deaf people got the taste of SSI monies, they would have trouble time letting their monies go. So, they stay with SSI, instead of start out with employment.

So, in the conclusion, the employment need be to expanded and explored. Oh, there are so many details that will be discussed here. Like Ridor said in his website, be prepared for many more information to come….!

I am not used to write a LONG article, for some people, including myself, would like to read a good explanation why this is written. So, please be bear with me with this. Feel free to write the comments… I am aware of a lot of deaf people have good employment, so please do not waste your time on comments, ok.

Thank you. deafk

7 comments:

Deaf Pixie said...

Hi DeafK,

I have struggle with DVR's kind of abuse on me. DVR wont help me to find a job unless I follow their comments. I did followed their comment. now They still won't helped and force me to something that they want me to work up 20 hours. I said I want a full job. They wont ..

I think there is inapproirate of DVR abuse??

I can see why the deaf people struggle their lives are so many differents. Varities

John said...

Well, finally these issue are raised. I think this is a very serious issue that we need to discuss.

Finding employment is difficult to get for various reason ("sorry, safety issue", " need to use phone", "require oral communication") and excuses. Problem is not limited to private company, problem includes federal agencies. It's getting frustrated.

DVR is another red tape. They just seems difficult to work with.

What's even bother me more is that these issue is hardly discussed in Deaf b/vlogs. They focus on CI, ASL, and etc but hardly talk about employment among deaf.

Hope this blog start the discussion on this issue more often with other b/vlog.

deafk said...

deaf pixie:

DVR abuses? I am sorry to hear that you feel that about DVR... Did they give you a reason why they did not provide you a full time job? Did they send you to a job club and get help there?

If you have evidence that DVR abuses you, I suggest that you file a grievance or a complaint.

yes, true, our Deaf people are experiencing a wide varities that hearing people are not aware of. that sucks.

Deaf Pixie said...

Hi DeafK,

Please email me at my email is DeafPixie@gmail.com

It is too complications!

deafk said...

John,

DVR recieves the budget annually. If they have the leftover $$, then they had to return them IN ORDER to get bonus for themselves. That is tragic. Bad karma... or no win, no win situation.

Forklifting is an easy job, but they (hearies) defend themselves that we (deafies) cannot use the forklift... blah, blah... they refuse to see the accommodating possiblies.

we need the deaf protection laws for that.. ADA is not our friend, ya know?

yeah, i have noticed that too. that is why i republish this article that was written last summer.

Perhaps we start over again. Alright..

deafk

Deaf Pixie said...

deafK,

The DVR just not want to spend on money over me because I went to see DVR after I lost my job and she want me to take a wacko medicine I told her I dont want to take it they would not help me unless I am take a medicine. I was stunned DVR force me to take a wacko medicine. if I willing to take a medicine they will help me to find a job. I said Whoa. I torn a form and put it in envelope and sent to DVR.

I cannot stand to take a medicine it is made me really sick. I tried to take different. It still torn me really bad!

Now They abuse on me. and more than one things,too.

I did complained to CAP before that the incident and now the CAP take their own words and agree with them. I PISSED off!

Glad you brought up.

Deaf Pixie said...

DeafK,

I mean to say CAP, meaning Client Assitance Program to find solution between my DVR counseler and her supervisor. CAP person agree with them without discuss with me.

The reason why I am pissed off.