Saturday, February 16, 2008

My DeafRead Tidbits 02/17/08



I am changing my approach on signing ASL. Ever since I typed up the transcript, and put it up on computer screen, I glanced and glanced at transcript while I signed. I admit, guilty as charged. Now, I am changing this approach by signing the story, and typing up the transcript. This is new experience for me... So, let us see how things go.

I got a new haircut. New look again. Really an accident was occurring. It was a little miscommunication between me and the hairstyler. I accept this mistake. Hey, look at the new look, smile!

Now, the Deafolouge, DeafRead's new feature is here. I am not familiar with it. It is a new thing for me. DeafRead has four things going on, DeafRead blogroll, DeafVideo.TV, Deafologue, and possible Live Chat channel, like Y! There is hot talking going on about Live Chat channel. Looks like I will join the Live Chat channel someday. Interesting, these things are growing. Obviously, Tayler is making things growing, different features relating to computers, internets, communication, and American Sign Language.

I would like to see the post set up in the right side of DeafRead.com. If any new feature set up, this post perm anted would be announced for a month or maybe, a week. So that the readers, like us, could catch the updated information.

Live Chat Channel. I have checked Tayler's. I missed the night live before, but there was leftover, like people chatting on four squares. This made me wonder what it would be. Let us hope things work out for all of us!!

I enjoyed the information about Steak and Shakes. I know it is an old news, but I was impressed with Karen and her efforts of spreading the new among us. Karen spreaded the updated information about Steak and Shakes and the order at window. Then the information about media involving the story. Then the meetings with restaurants owners or administers. I am impressed with the information and story that are shared with us. I would like to see the incidents, the different issues, similar to this Steak and Shakes situation, to be shared with us. So, these issues could be spreaded among the readers. That gives us motivated to participate and give the feedbacks on those information. It is real nice.

I noticed that there's a huge controversialism over the terms of Aslan and Amerslan. I understand those words are spelling similar that stirs some Deaf people to complain or concern. ASLpride vlogger is trying to present the idea and is spreading the idea. I like the concept of his. ASL users is for anyone, really. Using American Sign Language is not only limited to Deaf people, but to anyone else. It is that reason! (Adian, is that "that" what you were referring?? grinning!) The term can be used for researches, statistics, financial, and many purposes. I think it is good idea to identity us as ASL users. Instead of Deaf community alone, Deaf community, Deaf power!, ASL users numbers is way larger than the Deaf community. We need to look at this concepts. I like the idea. The new term, Aslan, sounds great. It all depends on you, the Deaf people, with that word. Maybe the different word that is more appealing.

Now, NAD, I think, may work among us, the v/bloggers. Still, I could see some Deaf people resist NAD, and are not comfortable with NAD. I understand their concerns about NAD all talk, not action. They were not happy with the word, "membership." I have suggested they get the informal v/blog just recently. NAD needs time to do so, and it is really their choice. The point here is I would like to see a national organization for strengthening the bills, the laws of the Deaf and its likes. Instead of the talks and the written letters to show the world are the answers? I do not know. I was thinking of toils and sweats of doing the hard works. I understand it takes money involved, the time involved, the writings to set up the organization, I understand... Still, oh, well. I support NAD, yes. I support DBC. I support, yes, DeafRead, of course!!

It is all for now. I am curious about your feedbacks on this ASL approach, and information. I am sure you like this approach better, but let us see..

Thank you, b-deaf

4 comments:

David said...

Hi Kathleen,

I realize that it is you, Kathleen whom I know at Gallaudet. Know what your small refrigerator you sold me is still alive and running! It is good to see you again even though I already read your blogs and watch vlogs in the past. I guess my mind is sort of fried!

Deafchip

deafk said...

hi, david,

Yeah, it is me!! Let me say this again... Hello, David!!

oh, my goodness!! lol... Could not believe that refridgetor is still running...!

I always enjoy reading your v/blogs, too!!

deafk

LaRonda said...

Hi there!

I enjoyed your vlog. I wanted to make one suggestion though. If you can, get in touch with Jared Evans and ask him about how to adjust the bit rate (speed) on your vlog to make it smooth. Your video is slow which makes it hard to read your signs. You might also consider looking into QuickTime which will compress your video so that you get a more crisp, clear vlog. I use VideoServer as my host, which is run my Tayler Mayer. I do pay a little bit for QuickTime and Video Server, but my videos are much better quality as a result. Something for you to think about because you have great thoughts and good material. The webcam you use is just slow, but might be able to be adjusted.

I'll watch you regardless. :)

~ LaRonda

DE said...

Yeah- I agree with LaRonda above... I want to watch your video without squinting, etc. Thanks!

I tried this approach a few years ago (doing ASL first, then translating myself).. boy sure took me a while to get used to it. It gets easier every time I do this approach.

DE