Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Think Globally; Act Locally....How? My Suggestion

I want to thank Joey Baer for bringing the subject, "Think Globally; Act Locally." I handwave for him. My suggestion for "Think Globally; Act Locally" is, of course, two things: leadership training and organization training. :D

NAD just completed the leadership training as, our Deafread editor, Tayler Mayer mentioned a while ago. Now, I was wondering how often NAD provides the leadership trainings per year. So, I have checked NAD's website, and only it said one location. Just one location this year so far. I saw the sponsors listed for this training. So, I am impressed that this training is costing everyone, both sponsors and attendees. I am sure that the attendees also paid for the conference, right?

We need to study this and figure out what we can do for our Deaf Community. Remember the term, Deafhood?? Smile, so, we need to figure out each detail, each subject, and each situation. If not study each situation, then we would do the same as before, like indifference or apathy.

See, the only one location NAD was able to provide the training for the year of 2008. I am sure through this training NAD was able to spread the empowerment to the attendees, and I hope the attendees could be able to spread their lessons to their Deaf locals. The state associations of NAD would provide the leadership trainings this year, I surely hope so, because I do not recall mine, either at NAD conferences or state association conferences, hmmm. If so, tell me which year it was, ok? Maybe not during my times?? The conclusion for this is to train more locals around the United States.

Organization training is an essential tool for the Deaf communities. Seriously, I had witnessed one organization got messed up because of too many green thumbs or newly experienced members. They had college degrees. Just that having college degrees does not mean they were experienced, if they did not even participate in any organization during college times, or afterwards. So, providing the organization training is necessary! Or those Deaf potential leaders who may never attend any organization. Robert's Rules of Order is an excellent way to develop their organization skills, BUT they need someone who have experiences and who can give them some guides how to run the organizations.

That was my two cents, smile.

Butterfly, like me...Deaf

UP TO DATE: 04/17. at 10:50am EST

One commenter below made sure that followers are important part of team. I agree 100% with her. I am sorry I did not even mentioned this recently. Still, those followers who do not want or need leadership trainings SHOULD have organization trainings to run properly in organizations. Ok? Thank you, deafk

8 comments:

Beaux Arts de Boutjean said...

There were many deaf leaders in 1970s. Their leadership and public speaking were so outstanding and scholarly I asked them where they had received their leadership training. They pointed at CSUN. (Of course, they
retired several years ago.) But I got the idea that CSUN is the best
school for leadership training. I very strongly encourage Ella Lentz, Joey Baer, and others to attend CSUN.

deafk said...

Hi, Jean,

Yes, I recall those days. I think Ella, and Joey already had the trainings, smile. Still, there are a lot more of us that need trainings. Thanks.

deafk

Karen Mayes said...

We forget one thing.

The leaders are nothing without followers. So a lot of leadership depends on the followers' talents. Leaders have good/bad ideas and followers just agree to implement the leaders' ideas.

So it is really all about how effective, persuasive communicaters the leaders can be and how eager and willing the followers can be to make the ideas work.

It takes teamwork... leaders AND followers... so the followers should deserve more credit in a way or two than the leaders. :o)

Joey Baer said...

Butterfly,

Thanks for sharing your suggestion. That is definitely one of many ways we should look into - receiving formal leadership training in order to act locally. That is probably the most important step we need to consider. Looking forward to exchange more ideas.

deafk said...

Karen,

Yes, followers also need to know how to run the organization, too. That is why those followers who do not want or need leadership trainings still should have organization trainings. ;)

deafk

deafk said...

Hi, Joey,

Thanks!! Sharing one another ideas or suggestions built stronger communities!! :D

deafk

Anonymous said...

Good point! What amazes me that all of these comment postings like Joey which doesn't sound like they're willing to stand up and get act together to make it happen. All is talk not not walking. Yes, it's a good concept but somebody needs to be a doer!
My 2 cents worth...forget the training...go with your heart and desire to lead for a change. Followers only goes with the leader's heart like Martin Luther King, JFK, Clinton, Hopkins and etc. Host a bbq party at your place where you can present the issues that we all care about. It's fun.
Deaf Community needs one big Organization..there's too many "I" and there's no team player between sister organization. We're very segregated community the likes of ASL vs. CI vs Total Communication vs. Oral vs. Cue vs. SEE vs. PSD. Think Globally; Act Locally takes all of these groups together to become one strong organization that NAD hasn't done shit about it.
Think about it...everybody has to act together and change.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.