Sunday, July 6, 2008

Deaf J, My Deaf Dog



Hello

I want to talk about Deaf J, Deaf dog of mine. I got her last October. I have written about this dog, and I will add this to this after this message. Now, let me show you Deaf J. Displayed Deaf J on video... Putting her down...

I want to mention a few Deaf characteristics of this Deaf J... Behavior related her being Deaf.

When I drove home, I saw Deaf J popping up at the window, watching me and the vehicle. How does she know that I get home?? I suspect that Sweetie, the other dog, acted up when I got home that woke Deaf J up, somehow. Deaf J must have used extra of her senses. I don't figure that out yet.

Whenever I drove home, Deaf J would pop up... What did I see something from Deaf J?? It was the Deaf eyes. It was like she uses her eyes more than her ears... Her eyes shows more perspective. It is so cute to see her like that.

Sometimes Deaf J sleeps through my arriving home. I would walk pass her while she sleeps... Shortly she woke up. Obviously she would smell my scent, or wind drifting. Her ears perk and she wags her tail as if she is happy to see me. She's cute!!

Whenever I drop the food for the dogs, Sweetie and Deaf J, I would call for Sweetie. Sweetie would pace fast to the food, she could hear the droppings, anyhow. She is a yellow lab. She would pace real fast every time! If Deaf J sleeps, she would wake up right after Sweetie passing her. It has to be scent, wind drifting, patting on the floor that Deaf J is familiar with Sweetie! Deaf J would pace toward Sweetie and me. That's wonderful!!

Achoo. When I sat on the coach and Deaf J would lay beneath, Deaf J would wake up and pop up after I achooed. She does not understand where the noise comes from. Deaf J is not full Deaf. Sometimes I yell, and Deaf J hears, but still gets confused about the noise and whereabouts.

I wrote in Facebook's status comment about why Deaf J barks at me and Sweetie. I don't know, but I have to tap Deaf J to let her know barking is not allowed. Deaf J would stop barking...

Dogs go to the outside... Sweetie would come back to the house easily. She is a wonderful obedient dog. Deaf J would see that Sweetie goes into the house, and yet she stays outside and sniffs more, or thinks more whatever.. I could not call her. I have to go to her, and tap her. Deaf J would look at me. I sign her come into the house. Deaf J look down and walk into the house.

Every time I see Deaf J, I have to tap her, and sign come. I use the hand to sign come... Deaf J would look at me, and then look down while walking to me or the house. So cute! I enjoy having her as Deaf dog.

That is all!

Link to this story about Deaf J I wrote in December...

Butterfly, like me...Deaf

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dog is very cute!

deafk said...

Thanks! ;D

Anonymous said...

Cool dog you have there! Is it a pit bull or American stafford bull dog?

I have a deaf English Setter -- he has been absolutely great! We adopted him when he was 8 weeks old along with a hearing dog. They were together until last year, my hearing dog was stricken with liver cancer and passed away.

So far, he has been doing great, he is a visual dog, and has a keen sense of smell!

Thnks for sharing your doggie story

deafk said...

Hi, Deafmommie,

I have named the breeds in the story linked "Deaf J." See above, and click the words, Deaf J. You will get more information what kind of dog Deaf J is...

Thanks!

Lisa C. said...

You have a cute dog. Bless your heart for adopting your dog.

deafk said...

Hi, Lisa C.

Aw, thanks. ;D

Kelley said...

I would like to let you know that I also have full deaf dog name Samson. He is half yellow lab and pit bull. He is great dog despite being deaf. When you describe how your Deaf J would follow other dog on what they are doing. I would say my dog did same thing too. My hearing dog always barks when I get home from work. I see Samson the deaf dog's head pop up same thing. Sometimes he thinks he "hear" something when there is no noise and he barks at it too. Its odd sometimes.. I still love him so much!! Your dog is sooo cute too!!!

deafk said...

Hi, Kelley,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Deaf dog... Isn't it fun to watch them doing something differently than hearing dogs do?? ;D

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool blog you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.