Sunday, July 27, 2008

Used to... Now No More, what? Hearing Aids, Here is the why..





Hi,

What is going on about hearing aids? I rarely talked about them. Finally, I decided to talk about the technical things..Hearing Aids!!

I grew up with the hearing aid with wire between chest and ears. Mother made hearing aid holders for me to wear. I worn this kind of hearing aid until I was in the middle school. One boy looked at my hearing aid and made fun of my hearing aid, saying I have three breasts. He laughed at me. He was a hearing guy. I was embarrassed, and left immediately. I told my mom that I refused to use the hearing aid. Mom felt bad about that, and she went to get hearing aid behind ears. I recieved them INSTANTLY.. I was glad that I have them behind my ears at least. I used the hearing aid behind ears rest of my life.

As I entered into my twenties, I went to Gallaudet University. I decided to feel totally Deaf. I did not need that. I was experiencing Deaf pride at GU. If there was music, movies, or events that required hearing aids, I would use them. So on like that.

Into my thirties, 30s, I used the hearing aids whenever I needed them. I began to notice that my hearing went white out after about 30 minutes with wearing hearing aid. Then my hearing went shorter and shorter, like 25 minutes, 20 minutes, down to 5 mintues... Then it was like 2 minutes. Then it was like fast pffflt. It was like white out. White out...

It was like life going quiet. Then I could not hear anything anymore. I had to take the hearing aids off and put them aside. I did not know what to do with them. So, I tried the audiogist to see if she could check on my hearing aids whether they worked or not. The audiogist tested those hearing aids with machine, and she reported that they worked fine. I said, they worked? She confirmed. I explained about white out right after wearing hearing aids within a few minutes. She could not explain how things happened. The audiogist said those hearing aids are the top, and powerful hearing aids. I said, is that it? Am I finished with hearing aids? She said, oh I could try some other hearing aids. I realized that that was it. I had to put them in the drawer. It is finished for me.

I'm curious, have you experienced those white out sounds like mine? My description of white out is sounds gone, or cannot hear anything else. It is like color in life becomes white. The sounds I could hear are becoming silence. You have similiar experiences like mine? You can give feedback, or discussion here. We could share something like that.

I heard that the digital hearing aids work better. Would they be better for me? I wonder all about this.

What I miss about wearing hearing aids was the sound surroundings. I would hear shoes making noises, and then I would know someone is coming. Papers shafting noises would get me attention. I would identity the noises such like that. People in the hall next to the room where I would be in would talk, and then laugh or shout. I would be aware of those. No, not those words, I was not expert on that, ok? Just the sounds. I would hear the cars' noises, and motorcycles' noises, too. Now those noises are no longer presented. All gone. I hear nothing now. Before in GU, I had options to wear or not to wear the hearing aids, now I have no option. It is permenant.

About Cochlear Implant, I am not interested in them. My friend had the similiar experience as mine. This person went ahead and got the CI. This person did not care about the world, "so what." This person finally could hear the sound surroundings, and the children's voices. This person did not want to practice the listening to the speech or word dictitions. Just sound surroundings. Okay.... I think about digital hearing aids right now.

Oh, short message, know this, Publishers Clearing House, PCH, send this letter for five or ten millions dollars winnings. Primtime or its like, had researched on PCH. They informed that PCH's winnings prizes are real. Hearing people got winning monies as we saw on commericals. I wonder about Deaf people. Anyone of you got the money from PCH?? If using the name, Anonymous, I question how real Anonymous could be, smile.

Thank you. Bye, bye...

Go to this link for video comment! :D

P.S. The ring on my hand is really cloth rubber band for ponytail... Guess I marry to my kids, lol.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't bother getting hearing aids. They will just support the idea of audism. I feel more free after I got rid of my hearing aids. I don't have to be slave to my hearing aids.

deafk said...

Smile, curious, Anonymous...

How long have you been without your hearing aids?

It has been more than ten years more or less, and I wanna hear once again. I accept the idea (?) that I am without any hearing aid the rest of my life.

I would give the digital hearing aid a test or trail before I take it.

deafk

deafk said...

Anonymous,

By the way, I do not agree to the word, audism, for using hearing aids. It seems to be off the focuspoint of the audism. Audist looks down on us, the Deaf people. Then how can the hearing aids be considered a part of audism? Not only us, but the general people who loses little hearing in their latter lives. We use it to hear something. What?

Anonymous said...

I wear hearing aid since age 4, now am 52, reason for wearing hearing aid is environmental sound only, I don't care about spoken words. I still don't understand spoken words, only enjoying environmental sound such as race car, sound of rain hit on tin roof, almost profoundly deaf but can hear on very low frequency, can't hear on high.