Friday, July 11, 2008

NAD...hmmm..



Up to Date: July 12, 2008 at 9:49am The video is somehow erased. I do not know how this happened. I had to remove the whole video and its embedded. This will be investigated, thank you.

Up to Date 2: July 12, 2008 at 12:39pm Video was successfully made, and uploaded just now. Here it is.

Up to Date: July 15 at 4:38pm EST Changed for better video last Sunday, but replaced today instead... Third time!! oh well, ha.



NAD...hmmm..


My mind blew out when Aidan revealed how our newly elected President of NAD how she responsed to Amy Cohen Efron's question. Oh, gosh, I completely forgot that the "I am better than you" attitudes. I am in the shelled world, hiding.. The blogsphere has freed me from those people with attitudes.. The blogsphere also helps me develop new friendships. Same thing with Facebook...


When BB Scoggins said NAD is to stay, I came to remember that I wrote a blog message about another organization needed. I mentioned another organization, due to health competion with NAD. More people work. More projects need to be completed. NAD has stuctures, and year to year plans. NAD was established at the same time when Milan announced oralism was the answer. NAD has been here for a long time. I understand how BB Scoggins could be frustrated with us. My impression is that Amy Cohen Efron represents us as the vloggers and bloggers in Deafread and everything else. Again, I could be wrong..

Here are the ranks of the NAD motions. I am not sure whether the voting result are done, or not. They are very nice motions mentioned in the website. I am impressed with those.

Click to this link: NAD's top 30 proposed motions:

Total 30 RANK Proposed Motions

1. #1 Open Captioning in Public Movie Theaters
5. #2 Certified Deaf Interpreter
7. #3 tied Equal Access via Captioning
16. #3 tied Protect State Deaf Schools
2. #4 Federal Recognition of ASL
6. #5 tied National Agenda for Mental Health
18. #5 tied ASL is a Deaf Child's Human Right!
14. #6 NAD and Deaf Education
25. #7 Live CC for Local TV News
9. #8 Early Intervention and Parent Education
10. #9 tied Hearing Aids/Molds/Batteries/and Services
11. #9 tied Vocational Rehabilition Service
19. #10 tied Feasibility Study on Preserving American Deaf History and ASL
30. #10 tied Early Intervention
15. #11 tied Requiring Closed Captions on All Size TVs
27. #11 tied NAD Youth Programs Task Force
24. #12 Action Alert System for State Associations
13. #13 Health Care Insurance
22. #14 Department of Transportation Requirements
21. #15 Advocacy and Support for ADA Restortation Act
20. #16 Advocacy support for 21st Century Video and Accessibility Act
28. #17 Testing Materials for Deaf Test-Takers in ESL
26. #18 NAD Exhibiltation at Expos/ Conferences
8. #19 tied Promotional DVD about NAD
23. #19 tied NAD Employment Task Force
29. #20 Immigration Access
4. #21 tied Disclosure of CI Risks
17. #21 tied Deafhood Training
3. #22 Video Hotline System
12. #23 Naming of Jr. NAD Chapters


Now, 30 motions... NAD said the goal to do the top 20 motions for next two years. Yeah, I suggest another organization setting up. Two organizations... ten motions each. I have worked in Deaf organization in the past, and when I see those motions, I know it takes a lot of time invovled. Not easy assignments. There are a lot of big projects. Not enough for two years.

NAD will never be gone!! I never picture that NAD will be faded away!! NEVER! NAD is a champ organization. So, I do that as a devil's advocate...to better Deaf people's lives! Yeah.. Oh, wow..

Butterfly, like me...Deaf

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the best example, you answered Amy Enfron Cohen's question about NAD's future. It was your passionate speech. It SUPPOSED to be PRESIDENT Bobbie Scroggin's speech.

Anonymous said...

BB? I hope that you didn't
refer BB to the world-famous Bernard Bragg.

Scoggins is still new in the
deaf world. Spell Scoggins or Bobbie Beth Scoggins or NAD's current president, not BB, please.

deafk said...

To the rogue,

Aw, thanks... I'm flattered.

deafk said...

To Anonymous,

Ohhh, ok. Then it is... BB Scoggins. My apology, Bernard Bragg, I shoulda know better. :(

Anonymous said...

I agree that the NAD has too many motions, and that working on even 20 motions in two years is a lot. But I disagree about setting up another organization.

I used to work at NAD, and one of the biggest misconceptions is that it's a large organization. In terms of staff, it's not. NAD staff, including the law center, ranges between 10 and 15 people. Many, if not most, local deaf organizations have many, many more people on the staff. That's why NAD relies on the work of volunteers on the various committees. It's amazing how much work NAD actually does with the resources it has.

Would the NAD like to grow? Sure. Why doesn't it? Money. Most of the people who know about and support and appreciate the NAD do that in their heads, and in their words, and their signs. But they don't do it with their wallets. Membership organizations NEED MEMBERSHIP MONEY. In the non-profit world, the word "support" is a euphemism for "money," so whenever you see a non-profit say, "Thank you for your support," you can translate that into "Thank you for your money."

Setting up a separate organization to "help" the NAD by sharing the work would just set up more competition for money.

I've noticed that older deaf people-- those who grew up before WWII-- understand the need for membership funds, and have donated a lot of money to the NAD and other deaf organizations throughout their lives. Younger people, those who grew up in the 70s and later, grew up in the era of VR and SSDI and often have the attitude that the money is out there somewhere and they don't have to contribute.

Just like the US Government, the NAD is bigger than any one person or group of people. I can't stand George Bush, never could. But I always knew he won't be president forever. The NAD is the same way. People come, give their time and their ideas, and their work, and their heart. Then they go and others come and repeat the cycle. Each new person whether staff or volunteer, each new group whether task force or board, makes it's unique imprint while continuing the work started in rebellion against the Milan Convention in 1880.

If you want the NAD to accomplish all of the goals set out in the motions in just two years time, then contribute your time if you can, and your money, as much as you can.

Nancy C.

deafk said...

Hi, Nancy C.

Thanks for sharing your view on this subject...

I am aware of my people who think this way. I did not realize it becomes an epidemic... I am sorry to hear this.

I do not think another organization would occur to compete with NAD. It could happen, only a couple hundred years away from today, smile.

Thanks again. deafk

deafk said...

NAD,

Maybe you present an issue about donation before and today. An epidemic is occuring because our soceity is changing. Maybe an educational lecture to state chapters, and have them spread the message to their locals?

Thanks, deafk

Anonymous said...

Really the way I don't follow up NAD in the past years that what going on as nothing to see about it eh!

To me as it happen on Vlogger or blogger start about 2006 ...... Boooooom !!!!!! more picture on Vlogger that make help much more clear to see what going on NAD.

One thing I don't give a big "HOW they or we..... VOTE" to get know them. I don't GET IT!

We NEED get the Vote to know WHO want to run NAD Board! by spread in USA. If NAD Care on Deaf Community? It will might work.

Big PUZZLE!

Davy

deafk said...

Hi, Davy,

Well, I, too, have noticed the silence of NAD in the past few years. I do not know how things go. I guess I was not in the circle of NAD's people...

I was a member of NAD a while ago. I am thinking of becoming a member of NAD again, because of many reasons.

I am glad you mention here. I hope someone else could answer this more.

deafk

deafk said...

Again, Davy,

I am sure that NAD is learning as time goes, especially with us, the vloggers and bloggers... I guess this helps them move on to meet our needs.

deafk

Anonymous said...

deafk,

I have heard NAD long time ago and still many thing not making sense what or who or where or why and how.

Nothing I have not seen it for while long time,
still where they come from by whom in strange people decide themself in which town or city.

It should public in USA. It too late now not be follow up.

Now it help on Vlog in debate let us know the news. still behind.

I am not member with NAD at all. Cause still puzzle anyway.

To me sound not really professional
what they doing anyway.


Davy

deafk said...

Davy,

I understand your view. NAD is the only national organization we have to improvish our lives, really. Did you know that NAD helped us get driver's liscense legally in 1960s (is that right about 1960s?)? Closed captioning was one of them, too.

So, like this lady, Nancy C. said if you would like to, you would contribute YOUR time to the projects. This is like be available to them to improve our lives.

Is that clear at least? One thing could lead to another.

deafk

Anonymous said...

of course that is nice thing happen.

I prefer NAD make Vlog to give a lot lot of news update. It would be nice every 3 or 4 month to follow up to know what going on that NAD to keep up inform on deafread and also Deafnewspaper too!

Thank you for your time deafk.

Davy

Anonymous said...

impresstive!!!

Anonymous said...

NAD's silence in the past few years is louder than all the noise they ever made.

There's a good reason for this type of silence.

Richard

K said...

Why did you italicize "Scoggins"? Perhaps, some readers might mistake your tone as intentionally condescending....

deafk said...

k,

hmm, well, i added later to the message without any more intention.

I guess i ought remove the italic now..

deafk said...

Richard...

true. at least, we all are learning every day... thanks.

deafk

deafk said...

to anonymous 7/12 at 8:27pm,

thanks! :D

deafk

ASL Risen said...

Hello DeafK!!!

I just wish that NAD will allow the video media teamwork to video that motion so we can learn how to improve our own states assocation of the deaf around here in amerika!!! I somewhat kind of mixed confused from reading the motions on the blog but preferably more action on videos so we can improve our own organization!!! Video is the best part of education!!! Sad that NAD do not provide full video access in each workshop so we all can learn more everday LIFE!!! me maybe wrong or maybe right???

Thanks so much for your AWESOME vlog... Smile and hugs, Shawn

deafk said...

Hi, Shawn,

Perhaps NAD needs to send any newly NAD member the information what to expect from NAD, like an orientation, or an introductory information...?

NAD, hear this?

deafk

Anonymous said...

Hi...I do not want to be rude yet want to help you improve your vloggings in the future...please...
please do not keep looking to the right...it is VERY distracting...
I am assuming that your monitor is on your right...and you keep checking to see if you are in good view...my suggestion is to put your webcam/camcorder in FRONT of your monitor...so you'll always see STRAIGHT to your cam instead of looking to the right. I surely hope it's not a vain thing. Lol! I hope you will not be offended with this suggestion...think of this as an encouragement. Have a great day!

deafk said...

Hi,

The previous video before this re-do video was focused on webcam, less on computer...

I had to redo the video, because it was erased. I had to look up the message that I wrote down after I signed in the first video.

Soo, I had kids around me that distracted me easily. I could not afford to re-do the another video. I am sorry about that... I hope I have more time for it next time....

Thanks. deafk

deafk said...

btw, i had the worst, :P

deafk said...

ah,anonymous 4/14/08 at 1:34pm

You win. I put up the video I made last Sunday. I thought replacing video too much is not good, but what s the point?? Ha.

Hope you were able to come back and check on this comment...

deafk

UDI said...

http://deafuncensored.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/amy-cohen-efron-and-atlanta-school-for-the-deaf/

no one is impressed with her now.